Kidney Friendly Holiday Recipes
Maple Glazed Pork Tenderloin
Protein 22 grams, Sodium 448 mg, Calories 348, Potassium 500 mg, Phosphorus 57 mg
- 1 pound Pork Tenderloin
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large garlic gloves chopped
- 1 medium onion cut into quarters
- 2 medium carrots cut into 1/4 inch lengths
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- In a ten-inch skillet, heat margarine until sizzling.
- Add garlic, onion and pork tenderloin. Brown tenderloin on all sides. About 5-7minutes.
- Removetenderloin from skillet and add carrots. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Stir in maple syrup. Return pork loin to pan. Continue to cook about 5 more minutes or until pork loin is thoroughly cooked.
Pineapple Cornish Hens
Protein 21 g, Fat 10g, Calories 257, Sodium 263mg, Potassium 207mg, Phosphorous 142mg
- 2 pounds cornish hens (chicken or turkey legs may be used instead of cornish hens)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Rinse hens and place breast up in shallow pan. Mix together all ingredients and pour over hens.
- Bake loosely covered at 350F for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover, baste with natural juices and continue cooking uncovered for additional45 minutes or until done.
- Serve with natural juices as gravy.
Hot German Cabbage
- 2 tbsp sugar or Sugar substitute (Splenda or Sweet-one
- 1 tbsp inced white onion
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup peeled and diced green apple
- Combine sugar, onion, caraway, dry mustard, pepper and vinegar. Mix well and set aside.
- Melt margarine in a large skillet. Sauté cabbage and apple over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar mixture and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Stir occasionally.
Aspargus Hazelnut Risotto Rice
Protein 8g, Calories 318, Sodium 267mg, Potassium 334mg, Phosphorous 156mg
- 1 1/2 cups fresh aspargus tips
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 cups unsalted or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine (table wine, not cooking wine)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups italian arborio rice
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts toasted
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- In a frying pan, warm the olive oil and sauté onion until soft.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Add the asparagus tips, fresh peas, the chicken broth, rice, white wine and water.
- Cook over low heat until the liquid is absorbed. Add the lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, Hazelnuts and parsley.
Cranberry Frozen Salad
Calories 255, Protein 2.5 grams, Fat 19 grams, Potassium 63 grams, Phosphorus 46 grams
- 1 oz package cream cheese
- 1/2 pint whipping cream, whipped until stiff
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 16 oz cranberry sauce
- Whip cream cheese with a beater until fluffy.
- Fold in Vanilla and whipped cream and then fold in cranberry sauce.
- Put into a 9 x 9-inch pan and freeze.
- Cut into squares to serve frozen.
Cranapple-Cinnamon Snack Mix
Protein 2.5 grams, Sodium 96 mg, Potassium 64 mg, Carbs 20 grams, Calories 90,Phosphorus 32 mg, Fat < 1 gram
- 2 cups corn squares cereal
- 2 cups rice squares cereal
- 1 1/2 cups dried apples, diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute (splenda or sweet-one)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 300 degrees
- Spray a large jellyroll pan or cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
- Mix cereals and dried fruits in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites, juice, sugar and cinnamon until foamy. Pour egg mixture over cereal mixture and stir until evenly coated.
- Spread onto cookie sheet. Bake 40-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes until light brown and crisp.
Cranberry Bread Stuffing
Protein 3 grams, Sodium 391 mg, Potassium 102 mg, Phosphorus 45 mg, Calories 456.
- 3 cups unsalted croutons (homemade if possible)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup celery
- 1 cup cranberries chopped
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Pour into a shallow, greased, 8 x 8 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Calories 171, Protein 2 grams, Fat 2 grams, Potassium 71 mg, Phosphorus 28 mg
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp brown sugar or brown sugar substitute
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- pinch cloves
- In a small bowl, add 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar to skim milk to make milk sour. Set aside.
- Beat egg with the sugar/ sugar substitute and molasses until fluffy.
- Mix sour milk, margarine, sifted flour, baking soda and spices together in a large bowl.
- Add egg and sugar mixture.
- Beat until smooth. Bake in an 8 x 8-inchgreased pan. 350 degrees for 25-30minutes.
Calories 134, Protein 3 grams, Fat 8 grams, Potassium 159 mg, Phosphorus 53 mg
- 1 1/2 cups liquid or non-dairy creamer
- 1/2 cups frozen or refrigerated egg substitute
- 2 tbsp white sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- nutmeg or cinnamon
- Combine first 4 ingredients in blender, mix well.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least ½ hour. Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon,